St. James has a chapter of the Order of the Daughters of the King. The chapter, Saint Hilda’s, was named after the 6th century Abbess of Whitby, one of the foremost educators of her time. She trained at least five bishops and hosted the famous Synod of Whitby; she admired and supported Caedmon, monk and poet.
The Order of the Daughters of the King is an Order, founded in 1885, by Margaret J. Franklin at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in New York City. It is an Order for women who are communicants of the Episcopal Church, churches in communion with it, or churches in the Historic Episcopate. Click here to visit the national site.
Members undertake a Rule of Life, incorporating the Rule of PRAYER, SERVICE and EVANGELISM.
The Order is today an international Order, with chapters in many different countries all over the world. It is still, however, an Order where each member is expected to support her Rector, and to serve in ways that the Rector decides would be of help to the parish and to him or herself.
The Chapter at Saint James is a small one. We meet regularly once a month for prayer, teaching, reflection and for planning ways in which we might be of service to our parish and community.